743 Washington Street
Physical features


Today’s pagoda at 743 Washington Street was built in 1909 as the second Chinese telephone exchange building to operate at this address. The first Chinese telephone exchange was built in 1901. The San Francisco Examiner of November 17, 1901 reported: The walls were decorated with red, yellow and gold. Along the one side of the room is a row of teakwood chairs with cushions of silk. While near the switchboard there are the small black stools that can to be seen all over the Chinese quarter.



east_west_bank.JPG
This is 743 Washinton st. in chinatown